Microbiology, Immunology & Infectious Disease
The Microbiology, Immunology and Infectious Disease Research Area conducts innovative basic research in the areas of cellular and molecular mechanisms of infectious disease, as well as the immune response and microbe-host interaction.
- We seek to understand the biology of microbial signaling systems, exploitation of host cell functions by pathogenic organisms, and mechanisms of protective host immune responses to infections.
- The model microorganisms used in our research are important pathogenic agents of humans, animals and plants. Examples include Legionella, Salmonella, E. coli, Agrobacterium, herpesviruses, togaviruses and flaviviruses.
The group fosters high quality scholarship and provides interdisciplinary undergraduate, predoctoral and postdoctoral trainings in cellular and molecular mechanisms of infectious diseases and other aspects of microbiology, with numerous collaborative opportunities across the Colleges of Science, Veterinary Medicine and Agriculture.
Our on-campus involvement includes a variety of centers, such as the Purdue Institute of Inflammation, Immunology, and Infectious Disease (PI4D), the Bindley Bioscience Center, Markey Center for Structural Biology, the Genomics Center and the Energy Center, and with faculty from across campus involved in the Purdue University Life Science (PULSe) graduate program.
Our research is supported by grants from the NIH, the NSF, and other extramural and intramural funding agencies.
Microbiology, Immunology and Infectious Disease News
- Discovery made by the Luo Lab selected as a “Signaling Breakthrough” of 2016
- Congresswoman Susan Brooks visits Purdue's Zika researchers
- Kuhn: Don't panic over Zika, but start taking it seriously
- Summer happenings in the Mattoo Lab
- Dismantling Disease
- Rapid, low-temperature process adds weeks to milk’s shelf life
- Research Area Members
- Applegate, Bruce
- Cramer, William
- Csonka, Laszlo
- Cui, Meng
- Deng, Qing
- Gelvin, Stan
- Jiang, Wen
- Kim, Chang
- Kuhn, Richard
- Luo, Zhao-Qing
- Mattoo, Seema
- Mesecar, Andy
- Noinaj, Nicholas
- Rossmann, Michael
- Sanders, David
- Searle, Catherine
- Sherman, Louis
- Staiger, Christopher
- Stauffacher, Cynthia
- Taparowsky, Elizabeth
- Walter, Thomas
- Zhou, Daoguo