Cell and Molecular Biology
The Cell and Molecular Research Area brings together faculty, postdoctoral fellows, and students with interests in revealing the molecular bases of both normal and abnormal cell and tissue biology.
- We have focus areas in cancer, cell biology and cellular dynamics, plant biology and bioenergetics.
- Experimental approaches in cell signaling and differentiation, molecular biology, proteomics, genomics and genetics, and advanced cell imaging are interwoven throughout these major focus areas.
The group has a strong commitment to enhancing the educational experience of our students in the classroom and the laboratory.
- We offer a host of graduate courses to prepare students to tackle thesis research projects in many aspects of modern biomedical or plant sciences.
- We encourage our students to broaden their coursework to other departmental focus areas such as bioinformatics, structural biology and biophysics, organismal biology, neuroscience and behavior, evolutionary biology or bioremediation, as needed.
- Many undergraduates are active and important participants in our research programs; we take pride in sending them onward to pursue advanced degrees in science and medicine.
Our research activities and collaborative interactions span well beyond the department to involve colleagues in the Purdue Center for Cancer Research, the College of Engineering — particularly Biomedical Engineering, and the College of Agriculture.
Major extramural funding for research is provided by the NIH, the NSF, the USDA and numerous private foundations.
Cell and Molecular Biology News
- MIST1, PTF1, and XBP1 Link Secretion and Stress as both Transcriptional Targets and Regulators
- Gelvin laboratory publishes work
- Stan Gelvin presents keynote address at the MAPMBS annual meeting
- Fall 2016 Yeunkyung Woo Achieve Excellence Travel Award
- Professor Gelvin presents at IS-MPMI international conference
- Konieczny and Taparowsky labs 30th reunion
- Research Area Members
- Aguilar, Claudio
- Anderson, John
- Bridges, C. David
- Calve, Sarah
- Chang, Henry
- Deng, Qing
- Fekete, Donna
- Gelvin, Stan
- Hollenbeck, Peter
- Kasinski, Andrea
- Konieczny, Stephen
- Lyon, Angeline
- Mattoo, Seema
- McCann, Maureen
- Staiger, Christopher
- Suter, Daniel
- Syzmanski, Daniel
- Taparowsky, Elizabeth