Dr. ESTEBAN FERNANDEZ- JURICICProfessor
PROFESSIONAL FACULTY RESEARCH
- Behavioral Ecology, Visual Ecology, Conservation Ecology
- Evolution of the visual system in vertebrates
- Antipredator, foraging, and mating behaviors
- Human-wildlife interactions
- Applied visual ecology
My research is question-driven, and is focused on behavioral ecology , visual ecology , and conservation biology . I answer my questions in a comprehensive manner, using a combination of empirical, theoretical, and comparative approaches. My model species are usually birds, but I have also worked with mammals, amphibians, insects, and fish.
I am interested in two research areas at the moment:
- Behavioral ecology and visual ecology: the co-evolution of different properties of the avian visual system with different behaviors (antipredator, foraging, mating, social, etc.).
- Conservation biology: human-wildlife interactions in protected areas, wind farms, solar facilities, and airports.
My lab combines techniques to characterize different properties of the avian visual system (visual fields, retinal topography, visual acuity, color vision) with behavioral experiments in controlled conditions (indoors and outdoors) and field observations. We often use mixed model approaches in our experimental design and statistical analyses.
If you are interested in learning more about my research, techniques, lab mission, and publications please, visit my website: http://estebanfj.bio.purdue.ed...