The Ross Reserve Fund
The Ross Reserve Fund will be used to build a structure complementary to the Lindsey Field Laboratory to replace the mobile home that has been recycled. The new "green" building will be mainly a classroom with attached quarters for a graduate ecologist-in-residence / outreach coordinator. This has become the focus of a campus-wide effort, involving faculty, staff and students from five colleges, to create a model self-powering, low-impact structure to communicate ecological principles and demonstrate sustainability for the community (see website for more). The Ross Biological Reserve, established as a "living laboratory" in 1949 by Dr. Alton Lindsey, remains the Department’s central teaching, outreach and research facility for Ecology and Evolutionary Biology.