2018 Distinguished Science Alumni
Congratulations to Dr. Donald E. Clayton, MD
“I credit Purdue for enabling my entrance to medical school and for opening the door to pursue my passion
for service to patients, organizations, and community.” Dr. Donald Clayton
BS ’72, Biological Sciences, Purdue University
MD ’75, Indiana University School of Medicine
- Internal Medicine Residency, Board Certification 1978, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine.
- Fellowship, Clinical Allergy and Immunology, University of Wisconsin, and Board Certification in Clinical Allergy Immunology, 1980.
- IU Health Statewide Values Leadership Awards, February 2015.
- Chief Medical Director, Arnett Clinic, 1990–2001.
- Chief Medical Director, IU Health Arnett, 2010–16.
- President, IU Health Arnett, 2016–present.
Doctor, administrator, researcher, leader, volunteer, and philanthropist, Dr. Donald E. Clayton has devoted his life’s work to improving and expanding medical services in Indiana for nearly four decades.
Currently president of the West Central Region of Indiana University Health, which includes IU Health Arnett, Dr. Clayton was instrumental in growing the Arnett Physician Group to an integrated health care delivery system in Tippecanoe and surrounding counties, demonstrating outstanding leadership throughout the complex transition.
Dr. Clayton earned a bachelor of science in biological sciences at Purdue before pursuing his medical degree at the Indiana University School of Medicine. He joined the Arnett Clinic as an allergist in 1980 following his postgraduate training in internal medicine and allergy and immunology at the University of Wisconsin, and he has authored several articles and given many presentations on these topics. He has chaired countless professional organizations, committees, and advisory boards, and he is a thought leader in professionalism and innovation in medical care.
Tireless medical volunteers, he and his wife, Melinda Clayton, who is a nurse, have worked together on several short-term medical missions abroad, which include ten outreach trips to Haiti and mission work with the Timmy Foundation in Cuban and Peru and with Vets with a Mission in Vietnam.