Prahatha Venkatraman and Yuk Fai Leung led a Development and Disease Research Lab section in the 13th USA Biology Olympiad Finals at Purdue University and shared our lab research on eye drug discovery using the zebrafish model. The students also learned essential basic skills for zebrafish research.
Prahatha Venkatraman and Yuk Fai Leung attended the 2015 Annual Meeting of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) in Denver, CO, from 5/3 – 5/7.
Prahatha presented a poster entitled “Understanding the contribution of photoreceptors to the visual motor response”.
Lue Xiang, a former visiting scholar in the laboratory, also attended the meeting and presented a poster entitled “Charaterization of a retinitis pigmentosa gene slc7a14 in zebrafish by expression analysis and targeted deletion with CRISPR-Cas”.
On 3/21, several lab members attended the 130th Annual Academy Meeting for the Indiana Academy of Science. The participants were: Meng She, Zain Abedali, Martin Tian, Ryan Wyer, Sylvia Bonilla, Prahatha Venkatraman and Yuk Fai Leung. Meng, Zain and Martin presented a poster of their undergraduate research work under the supervision of graduate students Sylvia and Prahatha. Here are a few pictures of the event.
On 3/18, students from Jefferson high school in Lafayette visited our department. They were hosted by the Leung Lab. See our departmental news for the details of the visit. Here are several pictures of the event.
- Tomasetti C, Vogelstein B. Cancer etiology. Variation in cancer risk among tissues can be explained by the number of stem cell divisions. Science. 2015 Jan 2;347(6217):78-81. doi: 10.1126/science.1260825. PubMed PMID: 25554788.
- Commentary: Wodarz D, Zauber AG. Cancer: Risk factors and random chances. Nature. 2015 Jan 29;517(7536):563-4. doi: 10.1038/517563a. PubMed PMID: 25631443.
- Commentary: Couzin-Frankel J. Biomedicine. The bad luck of cancer. Science. 2015 Jan 2;347(6217):12. doi: 10.1126/science.347.6217.12. PubMed PMID: 25554767.
- News coverage: The simple math that explains why you may (or may not) get cancer
- News coverage: Bad luck and cancer: A science reporter’s reflections on a controversial story
- Kok FO, Shin M, Ni CW, Gupta A, Grosse AS, van Impel A, Kirchmaier BC, Peterson-Maduro J, Kourkoulis G, Male I, DeSantis DF, Sheppard-Tindell S, Ebarasi L, Betsholtz C, Schulte-Merker S, Wolfe SA, Lawson ND. Reverse Genetic Screening Reveals Poor Correlation between Morpholino-Induced and Mutant Phenotypes in Zebrafish. Dev Cell. 2015 Jan 12;32(1):97-108. doi: 10.1016/j.devcel.2014.11.018. Epub 2014 Dec 18. PubMed PMID: 25533206.
- Callaway E. Blown-up brains reveal nanoscale details. Nature. 2015 Jan 15;517(7534):254. doi: 10.1038/nature.2015.16667. PubMed PMID: 25592513.
- Gurdasani D, Carstensen T, Tekola-Ayele F, Pagani L, Tachmazidou I, Hatzikotoulas K, Karthikeyan S, Iles L, Pollard MO, Choudhury A, Ritchie GR, Xue Y, Asimit J, Nsubuga RN, Young EH, Pomilla C, Kivinen K, Rockett K, Kamali A, Doumatey AP, Asiki G, Seeley J, Sisay-Joof F, Jallow M, Tollman S, Mekonnen E, Ekong R, Oljira T, Bradman N, Bojang K, Ramsay M, Adeyemo A, Bekele E, Motala A, Norris SA, Pirie F, Kaleebu P, Kwiatkowski D, Tyler-Smith C, Rotimi C, Zeggini E, Sandhu MS. The African Genome Variation Project shapes medical genetics in Africa. Nature. 2015 Jan 15;517(7534):327-32. doi: 10.1038/nature13997. Epub 2014 Dec 3. PubMed PMID: 25470054; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4297536.
- Jens M, Rajewsky N. Competition between target sites of regulators shapes post-transcriptional gene regulation. Nat Rev Genet. 2015 Feb;16(2):113-26. doi: 10.1038/nrg3853. Epub 2014 Dec 9. PubMed PMID: 25488579.
- Ritchie MD, Holzinger ER, Li R, Pendergrass SA, Kim D. Methods of integrating data to uncover genotype-phenotype interactions. Nat Rev Genet. 2015 Feb;16(2):85-97. doi: 10.1038/nrg3868. Epub 2015 Jan 13. PubMed PMID: 25582081.
- Zalatan JG, Lee ME, Almeida R, Gilbert LA, Whitehead EH, La Russa M, Tsai JC, Weissman JS, Dueber JE, Qi LS, Lim WA. Engineering Complex Synthetic Transcriptional Programs with CRISPR RNA Scaffolds. Cell. 2015 Jan 15;160(1-2):339-50. doi: 10.1016/j.cell.2014.11.052. Epub 2014 Dec 18. PubMed PMID: 25533786; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4297522.
- Singh AP, Nüsslein-Volhard C. Zebrafish Stripes as a Model for Vertebrate Colour Pattern Formation. Curr Biol. 2015 Jan 19;25(2):R81-R92. doi: 10.1016/j.cub.2014.11.013. Review. PubMed PMID: 25602311.
- Hiscock TW, Megason SG. Mathematically guided approaches to distinguish models of periodic patterning. Development. 2015 Feb 1;142(3):409-419. Review. PubMed PMID: 25605777; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4302999.