Skip to main content

Transferring from a Science Program

An example of a graduate research project from a student who transferred from bench research to education research.

Research Topic: Visualization in Analytical Chemistry Teaching Laboratories and Instrumentation

How do students identify ambiguity within an instrumental output? Can they interact with the instrument in question to rectify (troubleshoot) this ambiguity effectively?

Analytical instrumentation is often confusing to students, and as result, the output from an instrument is even more confusing.  My subject area deals with how students can visually represent analytical instruments (HPLC, spectrophotometers, etc.) and how their knowledge of the methodology of each instrument can be enhanced through visualization.

Department and Program

Chemistry (Chemical Education Division)

How to apply 

Students who transfer typically do so within a department. In this way the student can build from his or her previous work, rather than start the program over.

How to demonstrate discipline-specific competence?

Students must pass five cumulative examinations in any division of chemistry within their first two years of a Ph.D program.

How to demonstrate independent research competence?

Original Research Proposal (written document and oral defense) completed during third year of the Ph.D program.

Suggested Coursework

Minimum of three in-area and three out-of-area courses in chemistry, as well as any courses recommended by advisor to advance your research project.

  • CHM 620 - Spectrochemical Instrumentation
  • CHM 621- Advanced Analytical Chemistry
  • EDCI 518 - Nature of Science in Science Teaching
  • EDCI 533 - Intro to Research Methods in Education or EDCI 615 - Qualitative Research Methods
  • CHM 599 - Visualizing Cells and Molecules
  • (Out-of-Area Courses could include courses in Biochemistry, Inorganic, Organic, or Physical Chemistry as needed)
Graduate Funding Support and Opportunities
  • Teaching Assistantship (20 hours/week for full financial support)
  • Chemistry Departmental Fellowships (1 or 2 years) - based on initial graduate application
  • Research Assistantship (provided by external grants by your major professor)