I can see that some of you are having problems with LON-CAPA Lab01Prep problems dealing with unit conversions. It’s easy for you to find the number of pm/nm as shown below.
Your LON-CAPA points get transferred 3X/day: 2:00 AM, 12:00 PM, 6:00 PM. Your LON-CAPA points for a particular lab in your Blackboard grade book reflect the total LON-CAPA points you amassed as of the time of the last transfer. LON-CAPA points for a specific lab will continue to update as you complete all that lab’s LON-CAPA problems/questions, i.e., points will continue to be updated throughout the time they’re available to you.
Below is a recap of our first week’s suggestions for you to succeed in BIOL 13500, First-Year Biology Lab.
What you want to do before each lab:
- Read lab in manual. Pay close attention to “Information that you will need for this lab” section because many lab quiz questions & lab prep questions come from this section.
- Answer/solve all LON-CAPA lab prep problems/questions for each lab.
- Write all flow charts & needed calculations on that lab’s notes pages in your manual. Writing flow charts before you come to lab begins with Lab 2.
- Be very conscientious as to what exercises you will be doing in a lab, and have an idea of how you will do them so you get the most out of the demonstrations your TAs will do for you.
- Study for the in-lab quiz. There are sample quiz questions on our class Bb website.
What you will do during each lab:
- Take the in-lab quiz.
- Complete all lab exercises, and in-lab assessments.
- Keep neat and thorough lab notes, recording important information from that lab’s exercises. Keeping lab notes begins with Lab 2.
What you want to do after each lab:
- Go over the questions missed on previous week’s in-lab quiz, and figure out what did wrong. If you don’t understand what you did wrong, see the Grad TA who grades your section’s in-lab quizzes (see below).
- Check your points in the Bb grade book to see how you are performing.
- Check the correct answers to the LON-CAPA lab prep questions/problems you missed and figure out what did wrong. The correct answers to a lab’s LON-CAPA questions/problems you miss will be revealed to you a week after the class completes that lab.
How to get help in BIOL 13500
- Stay after lab to get help from one of your lab TAs
- Go to the BRC, LILY B-401, Mondays-Thursdays 9:00-5:00 PM, Fridays 9:00-1:00 PM
- Go to office hours
- Grad TA office hours in BRC, LILY B-401
- Yifan Yang (grades odd numbered lab section’s in-lab quizzes): Mondays and Wednesdays 4:00-5:00 PM
- Rui Yan (grades even numbered lab section’s in-lab quizzes): Tuesdays and Thursdays 12:00-1:00 PM
- Dr. Iten’s office hours in LILY B-101
- Mondays and Wednesdays 11:30-12:30 PM
- If none of these office hour times fit into your schedule, email BCBLab@purdue.edu for an appointment
BCB Lab—Boot Camp for Biology Lab