I can see that some of you are having problems with LON-CAPA Lab01Prep problems dealing with unit conversions. It’s easy for you to convert something like pm to nm as shown below.
Where you have problems is when you need to convert squared or cubed units, like pm3 to nm3. (Recall, 1 pm3 = 1 pm × 1 pm × 1 pm)
Below is a recap of our first week’s suggestions for you to succeed in BIOL 13500, First-Year Biology Lab.
What you want to do before each lab:
- Read lab in manual. Pay close attention to “Information that you will need for this lab” section because many lab quiz questions & lab prep questions come from this section.
- Answer/solve all LON-CAPA lab prep problems/questions for each lab.
- Write all flow charts & needed calculations on that lab’s notes pages in your manual. Writing flow charts before you come to lab begins with Lab 2.
- Be very conscientious as to what exercises you will be doing in a lab, and have an idea of how you will do them so you get the most out of the demonstrations your TAs will do for you.
- Study for the in-lab quiz. There are sample quiz questions on our class Bb website.
What you will do during each lab:
- Take the in-lab quiz.
- Complete all lab exercises, and in-lab assessments.
- Keep neat and thorough lab notes, recording important information from that lab’s exercises. Keeping lab notes begins with Lab 2.
What you want to do after each lab:
- Go over the questions missed on previous week’s in-lab quiz, and figure out what did wrong. If you don’t understand what you did wrong, see the Grad TA who grades your section’s in-lab quizzes (see below).
- Check your points in the Bb grade book to see how you are performing.
- Check the correct answers to the LON-CAPA lab prep questions/problems you missed and figure out what did wrong. The correct answers to a lab’s LON-CAPA questions/problems you miss will be revealed to you a week after the class completes that lab.
How to get help in BIOL 13500
- Stay after lab to get help from one of your lab TAs
- Go to the BRC, LILY B-401, Mondays-Thursdays 9:00-5:00 PM, Fridays 9:00-1:00 PM
- Go to office hours
- Grad TA office hours in BRC, LILY B-401
- Yifan Yang (grades odd numbered lab section’s in-lab quizzes): Mondays 10:00-11:00 AM and Thursdays 1:30-2:30 PM
- Rui Yan (grades even numbered lab section’s in-lab quizzes): Tuesdays and Wednesdays 12:30-1:30 PM
- Dr. Iten’s office hours in LILY B-101
- Tuesdays and Thursdays 11:30-12:30 PM
- If none of these office hour times fit into your schedule, email BCBLab.Purdue@gmail.com for an appointment
Your LON-CAPA points get transferred to your Blackboard grade book 1X/day at 2:00 AM. Your LON-CAPA points for a particular lab in your Blackboard grade book reflect the total LON-CAPA points you amassed as of the time of the last transfer. LON-CAPA points for a specific lab will continue to update as you complete all that lab’s LON-CAPA problems/questions, i.e., points will continue to be updated throughout the time they’re available to you.