- Ramani AK, Chuluunbaatar T, Verster AJ, Na H, Vu V, Pelte N, Wannissorn N, Jiao A, Fraser AG. The majority of animal genes are required for wild-type fitness. Cell. 2012 Feb 17;148(4):792-802. PubMed PMID: 22341449.
- Loehlin DW, Werren JH. Evolution of shape by multiple regulatory changes to a growth gene. Science. 2012 Feb 24;335(6071):943-7. PubMed PMID: 22363002.
Psychology and human behaviour
- Pazda AD, Elliot AJ, Greitemeyer T. Sexy red: Perceived sexual receptivity mediates the red-attraction relation in men viewing woman. J Exp Soc Psychol. 2012; 48: 787-790
- Commentary in Science Now: The red-dress effect.
- Commentary in NPR: Upset Men And The Happy Women Who Love Them.
- Deep insights from the article (quoted from the NPR commentary):
Men like it when women let them know when they’re happy. Women like it when men share their anger and frustration.
Evidently we women see a man’s willingness to share negative feelings as a sign that he’s invested in the relationship. Cohen says: “That’s telling her something about his availability to engage in the conflict.”
Men feel exactly the opposite about those moments of conflict: They see it as a threat to the relationship. Instead, Cohen says, “They do derive satisfaction when their girlfriends or wives are happy.”
Stem cells/ development
- White YA, Woods DC, Takai Y, Ishihara O, Seki H, Tilly JL. Oocyte formation by mitotically active germ cells purified from ovaries of reproductive-age women. Nat Med. 2012 Feb 26;18(3):413-21. doi: 10.1038/nm.2669. PubMed PMID: 22366948; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3296965.