RICHARD KUHNProfessor, Department Head
Gerald and Edna Mann Director of the Bindley Bioscience Center
My laboratory is interested in the replication, assembly and structure of RNA viruses with an emphasis on their interactions with the host. Our molecular studies utilize cutting edge tools in functional genomics, high throughput systems technologies, cell biology, and structural biology. Our focus in recent years has been on model systems in the alphavirus and flavivirus groups, and include viruses such as Sindbis, Chikungunya, dengue, West Nile, and hepatitis C viruses. Most of these human viruses are transmitted by insect vectors and therefore alternate between widely diverse hosts. Directly related to our basic studies is application-based research that seeks to identify new therapeutics for disease intervention.
Ph.D. SUNY at Stony Brook, 1986
- Purdue University Faculty Scholar, 2004-2009
- Faculty of 1000 Biology – Faculty Member (2004-present)
- Member of the U.S. Panel on Viral Diseases of the US-Japan Cooperative Medical Sciences Program, 2007-present
- Fellow, American Academy of Microbiology, 2007-present
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2007-present
- Herbert Newby McCoy Award for Outstanding Research Contributions (2008)
- CIC Fellow, Academic Leadership Program (2008-2009)
- Lecturer, American Society for Microbiology, 2011-present
- Inaugural Member of Purdue University's Global Council, 2011-present
- Journal of Virology
- Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews, Associate Editor (2012-2015)
Grant Reviews/Study Sections
- Austrian Academy of Sciences
- Austrian Science Fund
- European Union
- Science Foundation Ireland
- Wellcome Trust
- Purdue Cancer Center Grant Panel
- Fort Detrick Encephalomyelitis Program Review (AIBS 3/98)
- NIH Special Emphasis Panel on Biodefense and Infectious Disease, Chair (11/03, 3/04)
- NIH Study Section (Special Emphasis on Infectious Diseases), Chair, Washington, DC, February 29-March 2, 2004.
- NIH Experimental Virology Study Section, Ad hoc reviewer (2/99); Member (7-99-6/03)
- CDC Special Emphasis Panel on West Nile Virus, Chair (8/04)
- NIH Virology A Study Section, Ad hoc reviewer (6/05, 2/07)
- NCI Site Visit Panel Review, Nanobiology Program and Structural Biophysics Laboratory (5/06)
- NIH Special Emphasis Study Section on Viral Pathogenesis, Chair (2/07,6/07)
- NIH Study Section on Pathogenic Viruses, (10/07)
- NIH Study Section on Topics in Virology, Chair (6/08)
- NIH Special Emphasis in Pathogenesis, Chair (7/08)
- NIH Study Section on Vaccines Against Microbial Diseases, Chair (10/08)
- Peer Reviewed Medical Research Program (PRMRP) West Nile Virus Vaccine Panel Review (AIBS 7/09)
- NIH Study Section on Non-HIV Anti-Infective Therapeutics, (3/09; Chair: 6/09, 11/09, 2/10, 6/10,10/10)
- Invited Evaluator for the European Commission, Research Proposals FP7-Health-2011 Single Stage (2011)
- Member, NIAID Viral Pathogen Database and Analysis Resource, Scientific Working Group, (2010-2012)
- Member, College of CSR Reviews, (2010-2012)
- Member, (AIBS) Viral Diseases Panel, US Army Medical Research and Materia Command, Military Infectious Diseases Research Program, 2012-present
- Member, SARS Advisory Board, University of Illinois at Chicago (2008 - 2009)
- Great Lakes Regional Center for Excellence in Biodefense in Biodefense and Infectious Diseases (GLRCE) Executive Board Member, 9/04-present
- Discovery Learning Research Center Internal Advisory Board, Purdue University (2010-2012)
- Member, Scientific Advisory Board, Sentinext Therapeutics (2010-2012)
- Member, Center of Biomedical Research Excellence External Advisory Committee, University of Hawaii at Manoa, (2009-2014)
- Vice Chair, Program Planning Committee of the American Society of Virology, 2011-present
Conferences and Workshops
- 6th International Assembly Virus Assembly Symposium, Crete Greece, May 3-7, 2009. Invited speaker “Structural and functional studies probing alphavirus assembly"
- Interdisciplinary Workshop on Physical Aspects of Viral Assembly and Infectivity, California NanoSystems Institute, Los Angeles, CA, May 7-9, 2009. Invited speaker “Structural and functional studies probing alphavirus assembly"
- Indo-US Bilateral Conference on “Infectious diseases: novel strategies for development of drugs and vaccines (CID2010)”, Mumbai, INDIA, Jan. 5-8, 2010. Program Chair and invited speaker.
- Keystone Symposium, Cell Biology of Virus Entry, Replication and Pathogenesis, Taos, New Mexico, Feb. 16-21, 2010. Program faculty and invited speaker “Dengue virus structure and function during assembly, maturation and entry”
- 9th International Symposium on Positive-Strand RNA Viruses, Atlanta, GA, May 17-21, 2010. Convener of Plenary Session “Viral Entry and Assembly”
- 44th Annual US-Japan Virology Panel Meeting and Mucosal Immunity Workshop Symposium, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan, June 28-30, 2010. Member and invited speaker“Insights into Alphavirus Assembly and Budding"
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Regional Centers of Excellence in Biodefense Workshop on Dengue Virus Infection & Immunity, Beaverton, Oregon, August 24-25, 2010. Invited speaker “Dengue virus induced alterations in the membrane architecture of infected cells”
- U.S. Japan Cooperative Medical Science Program “Emerging and Re-Emerging Vector Borne and Zoonotic Viral Infectious Diseases in Southeast Asia Workshop, Sept. 9-10, 2010, Hanoi, Vietnam. Invited speaker “Dynamics of Dengue Virus: Implications for Antiviral and Vaccine Development”
- Cold Spring Harbor Asia Conference meeting on Emerging Infectious Diseases, Suzhou, China, October 18-22, 2010. Invited speaker “Role of Membranes in Dengue Virus Infections”
- Next Generation Dengue Vaccines and Diagnostics Workshop sponsored by the World Health Organization Initiative for Vaccine Research (WHO/IVR), Atlanta, GA, November 1-2, 2010. Invited participant and introductory talk “Introductory note: Antigen structure and neutralization 20’ + 10’ discussion time”
- Second Pan American Dengue Research Network Meeting, Cancun, Mexico, November 16-19, 2010. Invited speaker "Biochemical and biophysical characterization of dengue virus”
- “Dengue Virus: An Emerging Scourge of the 21st Century” featured speaker at the First Annual Richard McCullough Lecture for Saddleback College Science Lecture Series, February 11, 2011, Saddleback College, Mission Viejo, CA.
- “Role of Membranes in Dengue Virus Infection” invited speaker at the Dengue Research Conference, A Re-Emerging Challenge: New Opportunities for Dengue Research Collaboration sponsored by NIAID, February 15-18, 2011, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- “Comparative studies of flavivirus and alphavirus assembly” invited speaker at the Distinguished Lecture Series at Georgia State University, February 24, 2011, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Invited participant at the 2nd Annual SAB Sentinext Therapeutics meeting, May 20-26, 2011, Penang, Malaysia
- “Dengue virus: dissecting an important human pathogen” invited speaker at the “Viruses Forever” Wimmer Fest Symposium in honor of Professor Eckard Wimmer’s 75th Birthday, May 27, 2011, Wang Center, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, N.Y
- Invited participant at the PDVI (Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative) 8th Dengue Research Meeting, June 9-12, 2011, Dulles Virginia
- “Antibody mediated neutralization of flaviviruses provides insight into virion biology” invited speaker at the 45th US-Japan Cooperative Medical Science Program Joint Working Conference on Immunology and Viral Diseases, sponsored by NIAID, June 20-22, 2011, Stanford, California.
- “Replication and assembly of Dengue virus” invited speaker, University of California-Davis, June 28, 2011.
- “Interrogation of Flavivirus Replication and Assembly” invited speaker, Rocky Mountain Laboratories, NIAID/NIH, July 13, 2011, Hamilton, MT.
- Session Chair on Flavivuses and invited speaker, XVth International Congress of Virology (ICV), Sept. 11-16, 2011, Sapporo, Japan.
- Keynote Address Speaker, Annual meeting of COBRE for Cancer Research Development and Stem Cell Biology, Oct. 14, 2011, Providence, RI.
- “Dengue virus infection induces changes to cellular membrane architecture” invited Keynote speaker, National Congress of Proteomics National Meeting, Nov. 8-11, 2011, Puebla, Mexico.
- “Contributions of the human and mosquito hosts for dengue virus infection and pathogenesis” speaker and participant, Tsinghua-Purdue collaboration workshop on Structural Biology of Infectious Diseases, Dec. 3-4, 2011, Beijing, China.
- “Dengue virus replication and their influence on the host cell” invited speaker, Paris Pasteur Institute, Jan. 16, 2012, Paris, France.
- “Assembly and replication of dengue virus” invited speaker, University of Heidelberg, Jan. 17, 2012, Heidelberg, Germany.
- “Assembly and replication of dengue virus, invited speaker, Medical College of Wisconsin, Dept. of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Feb. 21, 2012, Milwaukee, WI.
- “Dengue virus replication, virion assembly and structure” invited keynote speaker, Rio Grande American Society of Microbiology (ASM) regional meeting, Feb. 24-25, 2012, Las Cruces, NM.
- “Dengue virus replication, virion assembly and structure” invited speaker, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, Department of Microbiology, Denver, CO., May 4, 2012.
Richard Kuhn has made faculty presentations at the following institutions over the last three years: Northwestern University, Georgetown University Medical Center, University of Pennsylvania, Montana State University, University of Texas Medical Branch, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, John Hopkins University School of Medicine, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Chiang Mai University and Mahidol University (Thailand), Stockholm (Sweden), Yale University School of Medicine